January 23, 2017
Traditional Shepherd's Pie fortified with AdVital Powder is high in protein, energy dense, and provides a good source of Vitamin A & D and Calcium.
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Yields: 4 serves
Mashed potatoes, refer to Mashed Potatoes Recipe
1Make mashed potatoes.
2Preheat oven to 200°C conventional/180°C fan forced. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add carrot and celery, cook a further 5 minutes.
3Add lamb and cook on low, stirring to break up any clumps, for 5 minutes or until lamb changes colour.
4Add the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until well combined. Add tomato paste, stock cubes and water. Cook for 30 minutes and thicken sauce. Remove from heat, stir in AdVital Powder and peas until well combined, season to taste.
5Place lamb mixture into 2L casserole dish and spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until mash is golden. If using cheese, add to the top during the last 5 minutes of baking.
Hints & Tips
- Sprinkle with ¼ cup grated cheese.
- Substitute the vegetables with any other leftovers you may have in the fridge. After all that’s how Shepherd's Pie was invented!
- Use beef instead of lamb and you will have a Cottage Pie.
- Try a pastry top instead of mashed potatoes.
- Substitute the plain mash with one of our other delicious mash recipes: Potato & Cauliflower Mash or Mashed Orange Veggies.
Low FODMAP Diet Tips
- Leave out onion. Add fresh or dried herbs such as thyme or rosemary for extra flavour.
- Use gluten free flour.
- Choose stock free of gluten, onion and garlic.
- Choose a lower lactose cheese.
For full nutrition information for this recipe, please refer to the AdVital Recipe Book in the AdVital Media Library.